Monday, March 1, 2010

New Sermon Series Begins Sunday…. “God”

Christian author A. W. Tozer once wrote, “…the gravest question before the Church is always God Himself, and the most portentous fact about any man is not what he at a given time may say or do, but what he in his deep heart conceives God to be like.” In other words, who we think God to be says a lot about who we are. I would go even further and suggest that a lot of the problems we have as fallen creatures stem from an improper or low view of God. We sin because we hold God in the improper regard. We are dysfunctional because God isn’t holy enough in our minds.

I wonder if we think of God with the right respect or the right amount of awe? Francis Chan has challenged me on this. I've recently discovered his books, "Crazy Love" and "Forgotten God" and I've become a Chan fan! He suggests that much of our frustration with church and with living the Christian life in general comes from not understanding who God is.

Over the next few weeks we’ll be taking some time to explore God together… who he is… his character and his attributes. And we’ll ask the most important question, “If God is all of this, then how should I respond to him? What difference does it make in my life?” Join us as we ponder together our awesome, eternal and loving God!

No comments:

Post a Comment